- Campfire Recipe: Easy Dutch Oven Garlic Rolls
- Camp Fire Recipe: Buttermilk Biscuits with Green Onions and Black Pepper
- How to Plan for a Family Wilderness Trip
- How do you Properly Apply Bug Repellent?
- DIY Fire Rope
- How to Dry Your Boots Out While in the Woods
- How to Make a Backcountry Table
- Nothing like Home: How to Make a Cattail Pillow
- How to Start Fire by Friction-How to Use the Tools
- How to Keep that Camp Food Safe
- DIY Waterproof Matches and/or Fire Starters
- How to Make a Swamp Bed
- How to Build a Tree- Pit Snow Shelter
- How to Save Money on Camp Gear-Purchasing a Tent at a Yard Sale
- Camping Apps for the Techie Camper
- See More Articles
The Name Game Camping Game
Playing games around the campfire is usually good for quite a few laughs.
One of our favorites is our version of the "Name Game." It's a round robin type game. The first person says their first name and says a short phrase where each adjective,verb, and noun in it has to start with the same first letter as their first name. The second person has to remember the what the first person said, plus add their own phrase. The third person has to remember what the first two people said plus add their own phrase. The game continues on like his until everyone has had a turn. It gets really fun with a large group of people because it's hard to remember what everybody said so people start to make up really funny stuff.
Here's an example of how the game is played.
Let's say my name is Tammy and I'm going first. David is sitting next to me and is going second. Sally is sitting next to David and will go third. Fran is sitting next to David and is going fourth.
Tammy might say, "My name is Tammy and I'm a terrific teacher.
Then David might say, "I'm David and I'm a Dorky Dancer and Tammy is a terrific teacher."
Then Sally might say, "I'm Sally and I'm a swaggering sailer." "Tammy is a terriffic teacher and David is a dorky dancer."
Then Fran might say, "I'm Fran and I like fried fruitcake." "Tammy is a terrific teacher; David is a dorky dancer; and Sally is a swaggering sailor."
It's a type of memory game. If we only have 4 or 5 people playing the game we'll go around 2 or 3 times without starting over to make it more challenging to remember all the phrases and to think of new descriptive words that start with the same first letter as a person's name.
There's no prizes or winner - just lots of laughs.