- Camping Games Aren't Just For Kids
- Best Portable Coolers For Camping
- Best Digital Cameras For the Outdoor Enthusiast
- The Best Portable Grills For Cooking Those Hot Dogs and Hamburgers At The Campsite
- Best Weather Radios - Essential Camping Gear
- Portable Blender For Frosty Camp Drinks
- Best Metal Detectors For Finding Buried Treasure and Gold
- Best Handheld GPS Devices
- Create A Campfire Dutch Oven Gift Set
- Best Hiking Shoes And Why You Want Them
- World's Best Socks - Smartwool Socks
- Light Sensitive Sunglasses from Hammacher And Schlemmer
- Best LED Flashlights - Shed Some Light On It
- Best Pocketknives - A guide to blades for the outdoorsman
- Portable DVD Players and Game Systems - Bring Sanity To Your Road Trip
- See More Articles
Best Sleeping Bags
Today’s pick for a great gift for the camping enthusiast… a sleeping bag.
I never really thought of a sleeping bag as anything all that great in the past. The one I had was a cheap one, but it worked.
Then this year I went camping and it was cold and very windy. Even in our popup camper, you could feel the wind. The first night I had a big pile of blankets and I was freezing. Then the next night my dad suggested I try a sleeping bag. I’ll admit I was skeptical since a pile of blankets hadn’t done the trick in keeping me warm, but I decided to give it a try anyway.
I was really warm that night, almost to the point of being too warm in that thing. Now, I definitely appreciate the good ol’ sleeping bag.
So what should you look for when picking a sleeping bag?
When picking a quality sleeping bag, you basically have two options – synthetic or down (and a few offer the best of both worlds).
Down is generally going to be the warmer option, but synthetic insulation is cheaper and new synthetic sleeping bags are getting closer to the insulating power of goose down sleeping bags.