- Camping Games Aren't Just For Kids
- Best Portable Coolers For Camping
- Best Digital Cameras For the Outdoor Enthusiast
- The Best Portable Grills For Cooking Those Hot Dogs and Hamburgers At The Campsite
- Best Weather Radios - Essential Camping Gear
- Portable Blender For Frosty Camp Drinks
- Best Metal Detectors For Finding Buried Treasure and Gold
- Best Handheld GPS Devices
- Create A Campfire Dutch Oven Gift Set
- Best Hiking Shoes And Why You Want Them
- World's Best Socks - Smartwool Socks
- Light Sensitive Sunglasses from Hammacher And Schlemmer
- Best LED Flashlights - Shed Some Light On It
- Best Pocketknives - A guide to blades for the outdoorsman
- Portable DVD Players and Game Systems - Bring Sanity To Your Road Trip
- See More Articles
Best Handheld GPS Devices
Once you’ve made it to your camping, hiking, or outdoor adventure destination, your automotive GPS will be of little use to you. They generally run on batteries and won’t easily fit in your pocket. Not only that, they a little lacking in the durability category so you’ll want to switch over to your handheld GPS unit.
While many higher end handheld devices do support turn by turn direction like their automotive counterparts you’ll find they’re much more at home out in the backwoods.
A handheld GPS unit is usually far more rugged and water resistant if not outright waterproof. They don’t frequently come preloaded with maps. Instead, you’ll need to purchase separate software especially with lower end devices. However, even if your GPS device isn’t loaded with maps, it’s still plenty useful as it can keep track of where you’ve been so if you get hopelessly lost you can still backtrack.
Also, if you know the coordinates of where you’re going, it can also point you in the right direction.
Which brings me to one of it’s more common uses these days, geocaching. Geocaching is a great summertime activity and one that can keep the kids entertained for hours on end. I’ve talked about geocaching at length in my guide to geocaching post and video so I won’t repeat that all here, but it sure is a heck of a lot of fun and if you haven’t given it a try, I highly recommend it.